Wednesday 16 May 2018

Far Corfe: Spellcrow Privvy

Lenny the Looter legs it with the last toilet roll, moments before the gangers charging for the use of the convenience realise the enormity of his crime...
Spellcrow are one of those pretty new companies that have sprung up on the continent recently and are already producing a range of minis with a character all of their own, both in terms of sci-fi and fantasy, well worth a look.

Recently they ran a Facebook competition to win one of a limited number of resin privys, asking those entering to post something amusing in relation to outhouses in order to win, and as always, I rose to the occasion, calling on a lifetime's experience of toilet humor.

I made some kind of crude joke about dwarfs and the substitution of toilet paper for certain kinds of facial hair in an emergency, and it seemed to tickle someone tasked with picking a winner, as I soon found a free privy winging its way to me from Poland.

This was actually not only my first experience with resin terrain, but also, believe it or not, the first piece of commercially manufactured terrain that I've ever owned or worked on. So to my eyes it looked quite impressive in terms of the level of detail and the feel of the material when handling it.

If the smell's shocking, don't come a knocking.

Anarchy in the Poo K?

Slanderous, unless the graffiti artist has proof.

Out back of the outhouse.
While the privy would have dropped straight into a fantasy, Wild West or even modern survival horror setting easily, my stuff's almost always post-apocalyptic in setting, and I have a strict palette that I like to follow, the primary rule of which is no browns or earth-tones if at all possible.

I based the privy on epvc and textured the same with a mix of filler, budgie grit and slate grey emulsion paint, then undercoated with a black-grey primer. On top of this I webrushed the privy with an old Citadel colour I think was called Wraith Grey.

Next I heavily drybrushed the privy with Dawnstone and then a diluted Dheneb Stone, finishing with an equally heavy wash of Nuln Oil and then Agrax Earthshade. I wanted the wood to look almost stone grey, as if it had been exposed to the elements for years and bleached of all natural colour.

I added graffiti to give it a more sci-fi and urban feel, sketching the basic shapes out in black, then adding a layer of white and finally a Citadel Blood Red on one side and Vallejo Fuschia on the other to give the look of a rattle can scrawl and make the things pop.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out (and I'm never 100% happy with anything I do), and I like the look of it as a piece of incidental scatter terrain, probably also as the objective in a suitably scatalogical scenario.

So check out Spellcrow on their website or over on the Spellcrow Facebook Page as they're doing some great stuff.

As always, let me know what you think in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Print Miniatures - Wasteland Bounty Hunters & Competition...

The gang's all here - Wasteland Bounty Hunters pose for a rare group photo on the outskirts of the sprawl 3D printing is probably rightl...