Wednesday 14 February 2018

Far Corfe: Underhive Scum Heavy - Part 1

"Here's a little flavour of how we do things down in the Sump Margins..."

I'd been waiting for my order of heads to arrive from Puppets War, the almost completed body of my Underhive Scum heavy sitting on the shelf for what felt like months (in reality more like a fortnight), when I found out that I'd won a competition that the company had been running and bagged myself ten exclusive Valhallan Shock Troopers, so I'll be painting and posting on them as soon as I have a chance to do so.

Rooting through my old Necromunda and Rogue Trader era stuff, I found that I had all of the original Underhive Scum, as well as a good number of adventurers and space pirates that lent themselves to a being a gang in their own right, so I decided that they'd become the "Soggy Bottom Boys", a nasty bunch of low-lives that had crawled up from the Sump Margin under the leadership of Boss Sass, and were working for their own gain, rather than just hiring themselves out to other gangs.

Obviously there was never a heavy made for the Scum, so one just had to be made.


Front - a face you'd have to be well paid to love...

Back - detail of the breathing apparatus on the backpack

L Side 1 - check those guns...and the muscular arms too!

R Side 1 - rules say he can't carry two pistols and the stubber, but who's going to argue with him?

R Side 2 - added a skull on a chain, because what can't be improved with the addition of a skull on a chain?

L Side 2 - apologies for the gun barrel being out of focus, I'm still learning how to turn the camera on with consistent success, let alone snapping decent shots

Apologies if the pictures are not all that great, I've only just started experimenting with the light-box that I bought off of Amazon a while back, but at least most of the mini is in focus, eh?

I haven't decided on a name or backstory for the Heavy yet, just that he's a brutish slab of muscle made all the more irritable and likely to erupt on account of having to lug around an awkward and unreliable heavy stubber, only cracking a smile as he sees the effect its sustained firepower has on his victims.

The kitbash is not too hard to identify, with the legs and heavy stubber (what else would rude, crude and violent Scum use?) coming from the Genestealer Neophyte Hybrid kit (with which GW have redeemed themselves in my eyes and are immune from criticism for another twenty years), torso being a Tempestus Scions breastplate with most of the embellishments filed off (as this is a Scummer and not a proud commando of the Imperial Guard), suitably beefy arms from the old Chaos Marauders kit, the backpack from a first edition Orlock Heavy and, of course, the snarling Norse Warriors head from Puppets War.

The positioning on the tilt of the gun was a little awkward and it bugged me to begin with, but as I've worked on the rest of the mini, it's come to grow on me, and I now tend to see it as him sneering in derision at potential targets as he readies another round for firing.

He's been primed this morning and will go into the basing and painting queue along with the Heapster Heavy and the Abhuman hired gun that I've also been working on, and then, I suppose that I should start to assemble the Tech Gang that I've been hoarding parts for as well.

As always, please let me know what you think in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Print Miniatures - Wasteland Bounty Hunters & Competition...

The gang's all here - Wasteland Bounty Hunters pose for a rare group photo on the outskirts of the sprawl 3D printing is probably rightl...